Cauliflower & Broccoli cream soup
This is quick and easy to make. Great for a cold winter’s day and ideal served with something salty like smoked salmon.
||Soups & Salads
Sardines on toast works equally well to boost the protein content. Broccoli is a super food, high in anti-oxidants and vitamin c. Though some vitamin C is destroyed in the cooking, a handful of parsley helps keep it high.
- 1 large head of broccoli, cut in small florets (tough parts discarded)
- 1 head of cauliflower, in small florets (tough parts discarded)
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 medium sized potatoes, peeled, sliced and chopped
- 2 tablespoon grape seed oil
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Black pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over in a large heavy based saucepan over a medium heat and add in chopped onions, cooking until translucent. Add chopped celery, cauliflower, broccoli, potatoes and parsley. Add remainder of the oil and stir. Let everything cook, covered, for 5 minutes (do not brown).
- Pour in vegetable stock and bring to the boil, reduce the heat and cover for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Puree the soup in a processor or with a hand held blender for a more chunky texture.
- Bring the soup back to the pan and reduce heat to a medium-low, cooking for another seven minutes.
- Warm the cream in a microwave and stir into the soup until blended. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes stirring all the while.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour soup into a soup tureen or separate bowls.
Sprinkle a selection of toasted pumpkin and sesame seeds on top and add more finely chopped parsley. Accompany with smoked salmon on brown bread or simply serve with crusty rolls.