Peruvian Mango Chicken Stir-Fry
This is a Peruvian recipe featured on page 208 of my novel Love & the Goddess. Chicken dishes are popular in Peru and this is quite an exotic concoction. The characters (Kate, James, Maria and the shaman Raul) are eating at a restaurant in the little town of Aguas Calientes after their exhilarating visit to Machu Picchu.
In the story James offers Kate a mouthful and asks her to guess what key ingredients are contained in the dish. There’s no guessing here but there’s quite a lot of foodstuff to gather together in advance. I hope you enjoy tasting the sweet tangy flavour of Aquas Calientas in this mouth watering dish.
||Meat & Poultry
- 3 boneless chicken breasts sliced into strips or chunks
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 3 ripe mangoes (2 more for sauce below)
- 1 thumb-size piece ginger, grated
- 2 onions
- 1 red bell pepper, cubed and pre roasted if possible
- 1-2 Tbsp. sherry or mirin
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- optional: 1/4 cup slivered almonds and one lime to garnish
- MANGO SAUCE:
- Flesh of 2 ripe mangoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp. crushed or finely chopped chilli (or dried chilli powder)
- 1-2 Tbsp. chopped fresh chilantro
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 tbsp. rice vinegar or cider vinegar
- 150ml vegetable stock
- 1/2 to 1 tbsp. white sugar or canderel to taste (depending on sweetness of mangoes)
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- A pinch ground cloves
- Black pepper and salt to taste
- Place all ‘Mango Sauce’ ingredients in a food processor or blender and blitz to create a smooth mango sauce. It should taste sweet, sour, and spicy. If too sour, add a bit more sugar. If too sweet or too salty, add a squeeze more lime juice. Note that the flavour will taste much milder later when distributed among the other ingredients. Set aside.
- Place prepared chicken in a bowl and toss with soy sauce. Set aside to marinate. For the mango, scoop out the flesh of 1/2 to 1 mango, slicing it into bite-size cubes. Set aside.
- Finely slice the onions
- Warm a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add oil and swirl around, then add the ginger and onion. Stir-fry for 2 minutes, then add the soy-marinated chicken. Stir-fry 2-3 minutes, or until chicken turns opaque on all sides. When wok/pan becomes dry, add the sherry/mirin to keep ingredients frying nicely.
- Add the red pepper, plus a little of the mango sauce (2 tbsp. at a time, whenever pan becomes dry). Keep stir-frying in this way until chicken is opaque inside when sliced in half (about 3 minutes).
- Add remaining sauce and stir well. Bring dish to a gentle simmer for 1 minute, before adding the fresh mango cubes. Switch off heat (avoid boiling the sauce – instead simmer gently to preserve the flavour of mango.
- Taste the dish for flavour and add salt and pepper or more lime if required.
Serve with jasmine rice and garnish with slivered almonds, limes and chopped cilantro or parsley.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes