Tandoori Chicken in Poppodum Baskets
Marinating the chicken the night before will not only increase the flavour.
||Meat & Poultry
Marinating the chicken the night before will not only increase the flavour. It will also tenderise it. A quick way of doing this is to just buy tandoori paste but for some of you who like to get a more authentic flavour here’s how it’s done.
- 4 poppadoms
- 450grams(1 lb) chicken cut into 3cm(1 inch) cubes or strips
- 1/2 cup natural yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon shredded ginger
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon of red chilli powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Thinly sliced cucumber
- 1 red onion cut in thin rings
- 1 carrot- shredded
- 4 leaves of Iceberg lettuce chopped
- 1 Tablespoons of yogurt
- 1 dessertspoon lemon juice
- 1 dessertspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon Shredded ginger
- Marinate chicken in all the ingredients for at least 2 hours or overnight
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F). Alternatively the chicken can be cooked under a grill, turning regularly.
- Line a baking tine with tinfoil and brush with oil before placing the chicken strips on top. Bake for 20-25 minutes and if you like it charred you can leave it for a further 10-15 minutes
- Place an uncooked poppadom on an upside down cup and cook in the microwave for 1 minute. Remove and allow to cool. Repeat until you have 4 poppadom ‘baskets’.
- Mix together all the ingredients for the salad dressing
- Add lettuce and cucumber and shredded carrot to the dressing.
- Mix the hot chicken with the salad and spoon into the baskets. Serve straight away.