Tofu Stirfry with Vegetables
This is a simple Tofu Stir-Fry in a light ginger sauce, suitable for a vegetarian or a vegan.
Feel free to add in whatever vegetables you happen to have on hand.
- 4 tablespoons Mirin or rice vinegar
- 4 tablespoons Tamari or soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated.
- 1 block firm or extra-firm tofu, well pressed and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tbsp sesame or vegetable oil
- 1 bunch broccoli, chopped
- 2 carrots, cut lengthways in batons
- 1 onion, cut in rings
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 1 cup of bean sprouts washed.
- ½ cup of mange tout
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced (any kind)
- 200g rice
- In a large shallow bowl, mix together the Tamari sauce, Mirin and garlic and ginger. Marinate the tofu in this sauce for at least one hour, overnight if possible in the fridge.
- In a wok, cook the mange tout, broccoli, carrots, onion, bell pepper and tofu over high heat, stirring frequently.
- Add the rice to boiled salted water in a heavy based saucepan. Cook for 10-15 minutes, depending on type of rice. It should not be soggy.
- To the wok add the mushrooms, and marinade from the tofu. Lastly add the beansprouts. Allow to cook for just a few more minutes. Vegetables should be tender but not soft.
- Serve the stir fried vegetable and tofu on a dish surrounded by rice.