SHOP YOUR OWN CLOSET
Fashion choices for Spring 2013 have never been more diverse. There’s a dizzying array of looks including Oriental, Ethnic South American, Digital, Floral, Sportswear influenced, Tropical, Stripes and clean cut Classic. Great variety on the one hand but some of us could end up mixing this lot up in a rather mish mash way unless we bear in mind a few basic guidelines.
For that reason, I believe it’s a good time to reassess what is already in our wardrobes and apply Coco Chanel’s principle of ‘Less is more’.
You may have a lot more variety in it than you think. If it’s well organised you can literally shop your own closet, ie. see it as your own mini boutique.
Ask the question – What do I have in my wardrobe that will work well for the next couple of months into summer? Most of you will have the following:-
(i) A favourite pair of blue jeans
(ii) A white shirt
(iii) A trench coat or blazer
(iv) A simple white t-shirt
(v) A pair of black trousers/black skinny jeans or black dressy leggings
Working around those 5 items alone you can put together a great look by adding a scarf or jewellery, belt and bag. Look in the latest edition of any magazine and you will see millionaire celebrities carry of this look with great élan. You can too, it’s all a question of attitude; – if you feel good and wear a smile then you will radiate that star quality.
(1) If you wish to add a splash of colour with those blue jeans this shirt is ideal and will also look fab worn over cropped leggings or over a bikini for days at the beach.
(2) For warmth, chose easy to layer sweaters. Lots of designers from Victoria Beckham to Helmut Lang have included dual fabric sweaters, usually in cashmere and silk mix. Great if you can afford one of these luxury items. Don’t despair! Warehouse do amazing versions, currently priced at 20 Euros in their mid season sale.
(3) If you hanker after print leggings, these are adorable:-
(4. A) THE JACKET – Next a choice of whether to go for an on trend biker style black leather jacket or be bold and go for colour as in this piece from Zara –
(4.B) Or chose the classic blazer that will take you from day to night. My choice is this tuxedo colared version:-
(5) If you feel your white shirt or t-shirts have gone a bit lank you can always freshen them up with home-made boiled starch or fabric whitener. On the other hand if you have the urge to update, here’s a great option in a style that says ‘ laid back chic’.
(6) Trousers are seeing a revival thanks to Stella Mc Cartney who for the past few seasons has introduced styles in beautiful silk jacquard. The high street has caught on, producing less luxurious versions which cost a fraction of the designer price tag. Wonderfully comfortable and stylish for after 6 wear. Wrap an obi belt around the waist for a very flattering effect. Showing off the waist is back in vogue and you don’t have to be super slim to get away with this look.
(7) Back to black and what to wear over those black skinnies, leggings or trousers. Once again, I suggest going for colour. Choose between either of the following styles for rock star glamour.
That’s basically how you can add to your capsule wardrobe by choosing one or two pieces from the currect seasons collection. Black and white is a big trend, especially in stripes and colour blocking. The shirt here may be worn as a very smart option over black trousers and under the blazer, choice number (3)
An overview of other trends
With regard to dresses the bandage dress is being replaced by clever use of colour blocking. Since Kate Winslet first appeared in a dress with slimming side panels, every woman coveted the optical illusion of having dropped two dress sizes.
The very feminine Floral dress is back in a variety of shapes from bodycon to 1950’s dancehall. The stunning designer version is beyond my price range but if you’re good with the sewing machine you may feel inspired. It must be admired for the craftsmanship and of exquisite fabric design.
And lastly because this model is so unabashedly sexy and happy in her body, I have to show you the next dress. Really and truly, doesn’t she make the skinny models look wanton?
That’s it in a nutsehll: – The capsule wardrobe plus your choice of what to add, depending on the occasion. Of course there’s lots more variety in the shops and you can also browse or shop online.
The key accessory are the strappy sandal and the wedge trainer. Some lower heeled pumps are also becoming popular.
There you have it. Survey your wardrobe carefully to check your capsule pieces. You may think you have nothing to wear but if you look carefully you will most likely find you need to buy very little. The key is to have respect for the clothes you own.
Get rid of anything you haven’t put on in over two years. Check the condition of clothing and get any necessary repairs looked after. If you know a good seamstress, you can get items of clothing updated.
Polish shoes and hang clothes on proper hangers.
Before you purchase a new item ask yourself how well it will work with the existing items in your wardrobe.
Shop your own closet and remember to rock the goddess vibe in those jeans!
Feel free to comment or ask questions on any of the above, Mary E. xx