Caramel Blondie with Toffee Sauce
A fabulous dessert that is not overly sweet if you chose to omit the toffee sauce. Since they’re high in protein from eggs and walnuts, you have the perfect excuse to indulge yourself. Go on … you deserve it. Also delicious and simple to make: – slice like a dream and look so professional, providing a blonde alternative to chocolate brownies. What’s not to like?
||Cakes & Desserts
- 3/4 (397g tin) of Carnation Caramel; – 300g
- 150g self raising flour
- 1 cup of walnuts chopped
- 4 eggs separated
Quick toffee sauce
- Remaining ¼ tin of Caramel
- 3 tablespoons of golden syrup or maple syrup.
Mix the 2 ingredients above and warm before serving.
- Preheat the oven to 175C, 350F, gas 5
- Line a long tin with parchment paper – approx 10 inch (30cm) by 6inch (18cm).
- Sieve the flour into a bowl.
- Separate the eggs and whisk the egg whites until fairly stiff. It’s not absolutely essential to do this as you can just add the eggs whole and the blondies will still turn out fabulous. I prefer to whisk the whites and incorporate air to add lightness and fluffiness to the mixture.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour and add 300g caramel and egg yolks. Mix well.
- Whisk the egg whites and fold them into the flour mixture.
- Pour into the tin and cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack.
Cut into squares and serve warm with ice cream and quick toffee sauce.