Chilli Con Carne
A spicy dish which is high in fibre, chilli con carne is filling and satisfying when the weather turns unexpectedly cold, even in Spring or Summer.
||Meat & Poultry
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g lean minced beef
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 beef stock cube made up to 150ml stock
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 150 g Brown Rice
- Chopped Parsley and wedges of lime, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan with a lid and fry the onion until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Meanwhile make the stock; – add 300ml boiled water to a crumbled stock cube.
- Increase the heat and add the mince, cooking quickly until browned and breaking down any chunks of meat with a wooden spoon.
- In a small bowl mix the flour with the chilli powder.
- Add flour and chilli powder to the mince and mix well.
- Stir in the tinned tomatoes.
- Add stock gradually while bringing to the boil.
- Season well with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, cover with a lid and cook over a gentle heat for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until the mixture is rich and thickened.
- Drain the kidney beans and add to the pot. Cook for a further 5 minutes, uncovered, before removing from the heat.
Serve with rice, parsley and wedges of lime.