I adore the mix of flavours in ratatouille. It is so intense a little will go a long way.
This can be part of a vegetarian meal or a side dish. If you have some left over it keeps well for up to 4 days in the fridge and can be used to top crusty bread or as a filler for fajitas or an omelette. It could also be added to tagliatelle.
- 1 aubergine – medium
- 1 courgette – medium
- 1 red pepper
- 2 medium onions cur in rings
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried or fresh herbs (parsley and oregano work best)
- Salt and black pepper
- Oil – vegetable or grape seed oil
- In a large pot, heat the oil and fry the onion gently until they are soft and translucent but not brown.
- Cut the pepper into strips, the courgette and aubergine into slices, the onion into small rings and crush the garlic. Open the tin of tomatoes and have them ready.
- Add the peppers to the onions and fry until they are soft
- Add the courgette, aubergine and garlic, stir and cook for 10 minutes while covered. Stir in between.
- Add the tomatoes and the juice from the tin along with the herbs. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook for 20 minutes, stirring half way through. Taste and season again if necessary.
- Serve on its own with crusty bread and a bowl of grated parmesan or as a side vegetable dish.