Try these for a stunning appetiser, side dish or part of a Vegetarian meal.
The large mushrooms tenderise quicker when cooked but equally you can do smaller stuffed mushrooms as an accompaniment to a main meal. For a non- vegetarian option you could add left over bacon or ham to the stuffing.
- 6 large mushrooms
- 1 medium sized onion
- 100g breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper to season
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parley
- 1 tablespoon chopped sage
- 50g butter (margarine if vegetarian)
- Sunflower oil
- 50g grated mozzarella cheese
- Wash the mushrooms. Remove and chop the stalks
- Make the stuffing; – Chop onion very finely and sauté in some of the melted butter. Add the mushroom stalks just as the onion is beginning to soften and finally add the remainder of the butter to melt.
- Keep 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs aside to mix with mozzarella for a topping. To the remaining breadcrumbs add chopped herbs, salt and pepper. Finally add the butter and onions and mix well.
- In a large frying pan heat some olive oil and cook the mushrooms gently on each side for 5 minutes.
- Place the mushrooms in a tin lined with tinfoil. Pile the stuffing on top of each mushroom. Sprinkle the mozzarella mixed with breadcrumbs over the top and cook for 25 minutes at 200C ( 375F)
Serve with a selection mixed baby leaves as a starter. For a Vegetarian option serve with a larger salad selection, including baby plum tomatoes, pine nuts etc.